Zero Waste Veggie Broth 自製零浪費蔬菜高湯


I first saw Chef James and Chez Jorge using vegetable odds to make their own broth and found it’s such a cool idea to use up the vegetable waste. So, I’ve started to collect and gather my vegetable scraps in freezer until I have enough to make the veggie broth. This is super easy, flexible and customizable as you can change the amount of vegetable scraps and mixtures. I believe it’s also much cheaper and better than store bought, so why not getting the most out of your food ingredients and making your own veggie broth?

 

The vegetable scraps I collect

-Onion skins & ends

-Carrot tops

-Celery old pieces

-Spring onion trimmings

-Discarded ginger

 


Basically, the onions, carrots and celery would give the broth a very nice aromatic base when ginger would land a spicy flavour, so try to tweak the balance of these scraps, the flavour really depends on what exactly you are putting.

 

The method

-Gather the vegetable scraps and throw into a large pot.

-Pour in enough water to cover vegetable scraps, bring it to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.

-Cool it down, strain the scraps and collect the liquid.

 

To me the broth tastes bland but full of aroma. It’s up to you to season with salt but I prefer unsalted so the taste can be adjusted later to whatever I decide to cook.

 

I have also made a video, you can check it out to see how I made it:


No comments