Natto Rice Bowl 納豆蓋飯

Have you tried Natto?

 

Natto is famous Japanese superfood, made from fermented soybeans and is often eaten for breakfast in Japan. Some people might find natto unappetizing at first glance due to its pungent smell and weird texture, it’s just like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. I remember my first time trying natto was when I had a traditional Japanese breakfast in Japan, since I have seen it a lot on many Japanese food/cooking shows, I was quite familiar with natto and just loved it on my first bite! Yes, the texture is slimy, stinky, sticky and maybe with a bit funky smell (However, strong-flavoured cheese is smellier to me.) but at the same time the taste that fermentation brings is unique, natto is also super nutritious loaded with vitamins, probiotics and rich in protein.

 

If you are interested to find out how it tastes like, you can get prepacked natto from Japanese or some Asian grocery stores. Best to eat it with a simple bowl of rice first. I love mixing natto with spring onion and raw egg, this is also a very classic mixture to enjoy natto with rice. So just being open mind to give this iconic taste a try, you probably would get addicted like me!

 

INGREDIENTS

-Steamed rice

-Store bought pack natto (thawed)

-1 egg yolk

-Finely chopped spring onions.

-Sesame seeds to garnish

 

SAUCES (Optional)

-Soy sauce

-Mustard

-Sesame oil

 

PREPARATIONS

1. Open natto package, stir in the included soy sauce and mustard, mix thoroughly with chopsticks.

2. Stir in chopped spring onions.

3. Add more sauces if you need more flavour.

4. Serve over rice with an egg yolk and more spring onions, garnish with sesame seeds.

 

 



No comments