Mayak Eggs / Korean Marinated Eggs 麻藥雞蛋



*The original article was posted on 05/11/2020 and re-edited with new photos & video in 2021.

The word ‘’Mayak’’ translates to ‘’illicit drugs’’ in Korean language which means Mayak egg (마약계란) is something delicious with addictive flavour. When I saw this dish online I can tell it would definitely taste good even I’ve never tried it in my life. After referring to some recipes online, I finally tried to make it at home and they were just exactly as delicious as I imagined. I think the main reason why I am so obsessed with these Korean mayak eggs is the recipe contains tons of garlic and spring onions (both are my fav ingredients) and they were truly rice killer as you would eat more rice than you usually did to extend the flavour. The method is easy as well, here is how I made it :

 

𝐓𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞 :

-Kombu seaweed/dashi stock, 1/2 cup. (Cooked water is also fine.)

-Soy sauce, 1/2 cup.

-Sugar, 2 tbsp.

-White vinegar, 1 tbsp.

-Garlic cloves, chopped.

-Onions, chopped.

-Spring onions, chopped.

-Chilli flakes. (optional)

-Green & red chillies, chopped. (optional)

-White sesame seeds.

-Sesame oil, 2 tbsp.

Combine above ingredients and stir until everything well mixed.

*Make sure you bring enough sauce to cover your eggs. (I did 4 eggs at once.)

 

𝐓𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐟𝐭-𝐛𝐨𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐞𝐠𝐠 :

-Have eggs at room temperate.

-Slowly place the eggs into boiling water and cook for 6 min 30 secs for running yolk.

-Once the time is up, run the eggs under cold running water immediately to stop them cooking.

-Peel and set the eggs aside.

 

𝐓𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 :

-Place your soft-boiled eggs into the sauce mixture (in a container) and leave it in the fridge for at least 6 hours to overnight.

 

𝐓𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐞 :

-Scoop out the egg and place it over warm cooked rice.

-Add 1 or 2 tsp sauce mixture and a drizzle of sesame oil over the egg to enjoy.





You can also check my Reels to see how I made it:

 


Also when you finish these delicious Mayak Eggs, don't waste any drop of marinade sauce, simply cook it with silken tofu to make the most of it! Click here to see the recipe.




 

No comments